Breastfeeding, at least in the beginning, is a two handed activity. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time sitting on my chaise watching TV. I quickly became addicted to the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. In one of the episodes, Adrienne Maloof is getting ready to leave. On her way out of her bedroom, in her amazing closer, she has her wedding dress framed.
Well, we did. We finished our first home project. The walls are painted and we have our collage of photos up. Both of us are very pleased with the final result.
Here were the steps involved:
- Get inspired. I found mine and posted about it here.
- Pick the photos. This took an incredible amount of time but was fun for the both of us. Since it was on our past travels, we had to put in a serious amount of time deliberating on how many photos from India VS Turkey. Hours people, hours went into this step.
- Buy the frames. We went with classic black frames from IKEA.
- Match the photos to the frame. There were some photos that were meant to be displayed at the 4×6 size while others were deemed worthy of an 8×10. Another chunk of time spent deliberating.
- Contemplate what color to paint the hallway so that the photos would the focal point.
- Have the walls painted by our fabulous painter.
- Denton made cut-outs of the photos and hung on the wall for us to make sure that we like the arrangement. Ultimately, we decided to align the photos to an invisible line that was parallel to the windows. The arrangement took quite a bit of time and even some online research.
- Deliberate the arrangements and bite our nails at the prospect of marring our hallway walls.
- Bite the bullet and hang the photos.
I’ll post photos tomorrow of the finished hallway!
Our new home has two really long hallways. I love them because I finally have a place to display all of our favorite photos. I already wrote about my plans awhile ago. Here are some photos to use as inspiration!
In the next few weeks, I plan on blogging about the home improvement projects we’ve done in each of the rooms. It’s is, after two months, finally starting to come together!
The entryway for our new home, sadly, is probably my least favorite part of our new home. I kept this photo around for inspiration. I love that the photos are black and white but the color comes from different style frames.
I kept this photo around as a what NOT to do — I think the photos are too small for the space. I would have redone this space in a different way. Remember: go big!
I love love the photo on the left. This is closer to what I plan on doing! Black and white with some color photos, all with the same frames.
This is a bit too much. They spent the time to stripe the walls, add a coat rack, some fabulous artwork and yet left the hideous light fixture. Plus, I think it is too busy.
Picking the photos for the upstairs hallway had taken a tremendous amount of time. We went through hundreds of photos from our trips (5 international plus two dozen within the US) to narrow it down to 31 photos. Finally, we had to pick the size we wanted the photo. It is a ton of work! We’re off to CostCo today to pick up the photos and put them in the frames. I hope that all of our efforts pay off.
Clocks are the modern suggestion for your first anniversary. And even though I have been coveting this Ghost clock for years, Denton decided to wait until my birthday (today!) to get this for me. It totally lives up to my expectations. Oh, and it is going to look great above our fireplace…once we paint it dark grey.
The New York Times had a great article about using your snapshots to decorate your home. If you considering using your wedding photos, make sure to buy the rights from your photographer. You can use the photos in many ways besides the standard picture on the thank you card!
The article highlights using Shutterfly for large prints. Personally, I prefer CostCo. I am absolutely in love with CostCo – and printing photos at a low price is just one of the many reasons.
Our new home has two long hallways. My plan is to do a collage of photos of us and the baby for the downstairs to give it a more casual feel. For the upstairs, I am going to get prints of photos from our trips. Here is one of my favorites.
The first room we want complete is the Master Bedroom.
I can’t wait to hang out there all summer long!
And other reasons that I haven’t been blogging much:
- Between now and Memorial Day, Honey Bee Weddings has 12 weddings! This is are biggest Spring to date!
- Laura, our newest Honey Bee, has her first upcoming wedding. Go Laura!!
- I may have under-estimated how much energy it takes to make/carry/grow a baby. Babies in utero do not like 12 hour days or 80 hour work weeks.
- I’m going to be on the tele! Details coming soon.
- See title. We bought a home. And while there are a ton of people that love home buying and look forward to decorating, I am filled with a sense of dread and doom. If any readers/fellow bloggers are wanting to pitch in, I am open to suggestions.
I promise to be back with lots of pictures and ideas. But first, I need to get to May. 9 days to go!
…for allowing me to buy some luxurious grown-up bedding for a major deal.